September 13, 2008

Go-go-go-go-Go!

Ah.

This morning I accidentally drank an entire pot of espresso coffee. Not one of those little ones, one of the family-sized pots of stove-top espresso.

Funny thing, after that the morning passed in a blur: research online, check websites, check blog, look at comments (hi guys!), check blogs I follow, look at PostedStitches, drink more coffee, walk the dog, check job sites, apply for position, do the dishes (pre-baking), bake muffins, bake cake, search for volunteer positions, wake husband (failed), cuddle dog, tidy living room, apply for volunteer position, clean stove, eat muffins, do dishes (post baking), hoik husband out of bed, organise files on computer, get head rush, realise drank all the coffee, drink lots of water, sit down. Breeeathe....

Thank heavens I diluted it with milk: it could have been worse! I might have (horrors) cleaned the bathroom or (drum roll) Done My Filing...

Here's my Mom's recipe for wonderful, healthy muffins. I'm off to scoff another one - mmm!

Basic mix
Make this dry mix and put it in an air-tight container in the freezer or the cupboard - then making muffins takes approximately 5 minutes plus cooking time. This mix makes several batches of muffins.

4 cups plain flour
3 Tablespoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup sugar
3 1/4 cups bran cereal (the long, twiggy bits - mm-mm)


Quick Bran muffins

In a large bowl, mix these ingredients:

1 egg - lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Stir in:
2 cups of the basic mix (above)

Optional: add any fruit of your choice (e.g. berries, apple, etc) - my favourite is 3/4 cups frozen blueberries plus one peeled, chopped apple.

Spoon into muffin tins and bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Makes 12.

3 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Too funny. I have visions of watching a movie in fast forward. I'm on the opposite end. My man cold is back and I'm having to go super slow. It's driving me nuts on such a gorgeous day.

CurlyPops said...

Eeeek that's a lot of coffee...hope you can sleep tonight!

Liesl said...

Wow, that's a lot of coffee, but what a productive morning!

I love the idea of storing partly made up muffin mix in the cupboard. Genius! I'm going to give it a go.