January 28, 2009

What do YOU say when you see a large spider?

I was editing a primary school textbook yesterday, and the lesson I was reading was all about using exclamation marks.

The students were supposed to fill in the blanks by writing down what they would say in several different situations, such as;

What would you say if you scored a goal in footie or soccer?
____________!

And then:
What would you say if you saw a big spider in the bathroom?
____________!

Two things came to mind:
1. The blank for my response isn't long enough (or big enough), and;
2. I don't think I'm supposed to use words like that to answer questions in a primary school lesson.

Foiled again. I'll never graduate!


PS: The photo above is definitely not a spider. Which I suppose means I also fail in image recognition. It's a helicopter, but don't you think it looks like a bug? I've always wanted to use this image (taken by Mr Tacc) in my blog. Hoppo Bumpo, this one's dedicated to Argy and Bargy.

3 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Ditto for number 1 and number 2 - along with scream and run...exclamation mark!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I can't tell you how much I laughed when I read this. I can see the naughty kid in class making exactly the response we would make and getting in trouble for it. Poor kid - it's the only honest response to what you say when you see a big spider in the bathroom.

Liesl said...

Well, we just had a rather loud exclamation of our own here. A aiiir-plannnne says Bargy! So he didn't quite pass the image recognition either ... but in his defence is only 2! I'll have to check with Argy next. He will love it!

PS. According to the boys the correct response to [1.] is to put your shirt over your head and run around like a lunatic shouting ggooooaaaalll and for [2.]Is it my friend? Can I pat it?