April 16, 2009

Clever clogses...

...spotted the textile design. (Well spotted, girls).

Yes, I have asked for a Spoonflower gift voucher for a very belated Christmas present from my lovely sister, and just the thought of it is making the heart go pitter-pat.

pattity-bump.

In case you haven't heard me witter on about it before, Spoonflower will print your own designs directly on to nice crisp white cotton. Mmm. Let me just savour those words again:
nice. crisp. white. cotton.

Melts like dark chocolate in your mouth, doesn't it?

I bought a yard of one of the winning designs from Spoonflower a few weeks ago. The quality is good: not as lovely as many of the Japanese fabrics we see at Amitie, but good. I've been reading online about colour calibration and registration and repeats. And I've been attempting to learn more about my design package. All in one conveniently-timed Easter weekend.


I spent much of the long weekend devising designs. Two-stepping tea pots, spots and spoons. I've been drawing a lot recently, some of it to my pleasure, some of it very frustrating.

I'm so comfortable with a good black pen in my hand. Some facility is coming back after years of rusty half-attempts. Mysteriously, most of these drawings are food-related. Oh, and animals. Inspired by images like the ones you see here (which mainly come from the Dover weekly sampler, also blogged here before. Can't say I'm not a steady kinda gal.)

But the 6-million dollar question is: what should I make with the fabric when I do get the colour register right and get it printed?

Is there anything you've seen here that screams to you: Make me in teapots! or Cover me with bluebirds and strawberries! Wrap me in folk villages! Give me yellow dancing bunnies!

Whew. Now I'm overheating again. Time for a cup of tea.

4 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I was not a clever clogses... I didn't spot the textile design!
What to do with the fabric? Well I never actually think that far ahead, I just buy things that are pretty and add them to the stash!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

What doesn't scream wrap me in folk villages and give me yellow dancing bunnies. I'm seeing tote bags, gorgeous slouchy couch project bags. You name it.

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

Whatever you do will be incredible, I love your drawings. Love the bunny. So cute. Really, you can't go wrong!

eileenr said...

I've been wanting to try that since you mentioned it before. I just need some time to come up with an idea (and time is in short supply at the moment but soon will be aplenty when my contract ends). Anyway, if you're looking for something to callibrate the colour for your monitor I just bought a Huey Pantone callibrator and it works well although with the Mac screen it really didn't change very much.